Home renovations don’t have to be costly or require handyman help because making the smallest of changes can make all the difference. You can also go at your own pace with DIY home renovation projects by tackling one room at a time – not to mention the costs it will save you.
However there are a few DIY home renovation hacks that you need to know before you get started.
• Be realistic – your budget will probably blow out because let’s face it, no renovation goes according to plan. It saves a lot of stress if you account for a buffer the minute you start planning.
• Check with your council to ask if any special permission is required for your renovations.
• Do your research, there are plenty of home improvement blogs on the internet with plenty of DIY tips, just make sure you verify with various sources before you get stuck in.
• Consider giving your house a fresh coat of paint; it will make a huge difference in ambience and also will make rearranging furniture easier as it will have to be taken out of the room before painting begins.
• Got old carpet? Rip it up. It’s all about polished floorboards (or concrete) these days, so hop on the wagon and toss that old carpet.
Source: Young House Love
• Measure up the bathroom size and then everything in it. Sit down and draw up a floor plan of your current bathroom and use that figure out how to create more room.
• Use a pedestal sink or simply a sink with no vanity cupboards beneath it in a small bathroom for more floor space. This eliminates the home renovation costs of re-creating an entire plumbing system for your bathroom.
• But if you’re still worried about storage, create some open shelving for bath products, towels and magazines. This is an elegant-looking yet simple and easy solution for bathroom clutter that only takes a few painted planks of wood and brackets.
• Need more storage in your living room? DIY! Turn a big old wooden box into your coffee table, or simply add sides and a door to your existing coffee table. That way, you can store things in an easy to access place that is out of sight (e.g. Christmas decorations, linen, extra glassware, etc). This will also encourage you to keep your coffee table cleaner as you need to be able to access what’s underneath.
• Another way to add more storage is with shelving. Consider attaching a flat-pack set of shelves to your wall and painting them the same colour; this will then allow the shelving to melt into the wall behind and not look as much like shelving. Using open shelves on a blank wall (or even a feature wall) is a great way to store candles, tissues, lamps, books, etc.
• Paint a feature wall in a calming blue or green to mix up the room and also help you sleep easier.
• Attach shelving without cupboard doors just above your bed (on top of your headboard) and use to store things that clutter up your bedside tables.
Source: Design Home Pics
• Go to home ware stores and let them help you design a new wardrobe system inside your pre-existing wardrobe. This way, your storage needs are suited without a knockdown/rebuild of your current wardrobe.
• Replace all the handles on your kitchen cupboards and paint the doors; great ways to use what you already have.
• Attach gliders into drawers and soft-shut systems into cupboards. This eliminated the slamming noise but also updates your kitchen without breaking the bank.
Take a look at some more Kitchen Home Improvement Ideas.
• Is your laundry a washer and dryer stacked on each other in your kitchen or bathroom? Use the cupboard under the stairs or any other cupboard (with rails and shelves removed) to hide your laundry appliances from view. Compact solution for people with little room such as flat or apartment habitants.
• If it’s possible (and you don’t already have one), add a sink to your laundry area. Make it a big, stainless steel sink that you can use to soak, dye, and wash the dogs – anything. Instead of using the bath or kitchen sink, you are able to use this sink which is out of view.
This article was written by Airtasker – Zoe T.
Got any other home renovation hacks? Let us know in the comments below!